Sunday, October 7, 2007

SLEEPY EYES...


  The biggest enemy of my education ( after my fate and ‘open’ category status) has been my sleep. Just touching my books can lull me off to the deepest slumber. The tactile stimulation of those thin white pages coupled with the smell of printing ink does wonders to my nervous system. Instantly I feel as if someone has hit the 'switch off' button and i'm dozing even before I know it. Strangely enough, the effects do not seem to occur when I read novels and comics.
    
 This disease has tormented me to a great extent. I have tried so many methods that I could write an encyclopedia on that topic. “Thousand unsuccessful ways to avoid sleep.” To think that there are people who suffer from insomnia. I would die to suffer from that for a change.

Coffee???? I have already been so overdosed on coffee during my medical college days that nowadays even a intravenous infusion of the best Italian black coffee could do no more than incite a twitch…..a feeble one that too.

Sticking my eyelids with cellotape - That worked for a while until I realised that I could fall asleep with my eyes open too. I tried studying upside down so that the eyelids would droop the other way. Nature showed me that my lower eyelids could just as well droop down. (now I know how bats sleep). Yeah standing helps for sometime, but only till I fall flat on my face and end up with a broken nose.

That’s when realization dawns on me and I find the ultimate solution to my narcolepsy. I throw away my books and grab the pillow and snore away to glory.

……..but wait ….why don’t I fall asleep now? ..here we go again…..

No comments: